Welcome to the homepage of the Virginia Blue Ridge Section of the American Chemical Society. The Section serves Alleghany, Amherst, Bedford, Botetourt, Campbell, Craig, Floyd, Franklin, Giles, Henry, Montgomery, Pittsylvania, Pulaski, Roanoke, and Rockbridge Counties in Virginia, as well as Mercer County in West Virginia. Section Meetings are held monthly during the academic year, September through May, with no meeting in December.
ACS National rejected our revised Bylaws and nullified our vote thereupon. Please stay tuned for an opportunity to vote afresh -- this time for Bylaws that ACS National has approved.
Our meeting Originally Scheduled for Friday, April 03, 2020 has been CANCELLED
The Virginia Blue Ridge Section of the American Chemical Society has cancelled its final meeting of Spring 2020 due to the extraordinary circumstances of the coronavirus pandemic.
We thank Prof. Christine Hermann and her assistant, Laura Angell, both of Radford University, for their effort in preparing for the cancelled April meeting, which was to include our annual high-school and undergraduate poster session, as well as our awards ceremony.
We wish also to thank Prof. Carla Finkielstein of the Virginia Tech Department of Biological Sciences for her generous offer to serve as our lecturer for the evening.
The Section is currently planning its Fall 2020 meeting schedule. The Executive Council is working presently with ACS National to work out a procedure for ratifying our revised bylaws electronically. Stay tuned for an email message on that subject.
Congratulations to Allison Adams. She was the named the recipient of 2020 VBRS-ACS Award at the Blue Ridge Highlands Regional Science Fair held at Radford University. She currently attends Southwest Virginia Governor's School, where her teacher is Jared Brown. Her winning project was entitled Determining Concentrations of Lead in Jewelry Using Inductively Coupled Plasma.
The Blue Ridge Chemist is our monthly newsletter. Information on joining the subscription list can be found at Blue Ridge Chemist. It may be of particular interest to those wishing to attend or looking for more details about our monthly Meetings.
Student Affiliate Chapters in the VBRS
- Ferrum College (Advisor: Maria Puccio, 540.365.4362) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hollins University (Advisor: Dan Derringer, 540.362.7433) email@example.com
- Lynchburg College (Advisor: Bill Lokar, 343.544.8631) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Radford University (Advisor: Cindy Burkhardt, 540.831.5661) email@example.com
- Roanoke College (Advisor: Kelly Anderson, 540.375.4971) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sweet Briar College (Advisor: Jill Granger, 343.381.6166) email@example.com
- Virginia Tech Chemistry Club (Advisor: Maggie Bump, 540.231.4675) firstname.lastname@example.org